Tuesday, January 29, 2013

5 apps you should have on your smartphone.

Hi, everyone.

As smartphones become more popular, developers come up with increasingly creative and entertaining ways of distracting us. Yes, phones still make calls and text, but with the explosion of apps, there isn't really a limit of what you can do. Here are some of my favorite apps that you should have on your phone:

1. Your banks app. Yes, it may seem unsafe, but it's not at all. I have the Capital One app for my credit card and the TD Bank app for my accounts and they're so convenient. Instead of opening the browser and typing in the website, I just open the app (which is on my homepage). Getting in requires my username and password because I opted not to have them saved. The purpose of an application is convenience and these are definitely handy if you need to check your balances in a flash.  - FREE

2. Evernote. This is probably the best productivity app in any marketplace. I initially used it to quickly type out a note if I need to remember something quickly, but I've grown to use more of its features. With it, you can take a picture note, voice recording, or make a list. You can also share the notes in a variety of ways; email, text, Facebook, and more. Best of all, the notes are saved in the cloud automatically, so if you get a new phone, simply download the app and login. Your notes will be waiting for you. - FREE
   Evernote for Android
   Evernote for iPhones

3. Scramble with Friends- Scramble is essentially a digital version of Boggle. Like Words with Friends or Draw Something, you can connect to challenge strangers or friends via Facebook. This game is not only addicting, but rushing to find/create words is mentally stimulating. It's also convenient that you can play in two minute spurts and don't have to spend too much time coming up with a scrabble word or staring at a drawing that you can't figure out. - FREE
   Scramble for Android
   Scramble for iPhones

4. Instagram- What makes Instagram great is that it encourages creativeness. What started out as an artistic outlet for hipsters is now a grand social canvas. You know what you're getting when you sign up; pictures. No pointless tweets or complaining status updates. I also enjoy that you don't have to follow someone who follows you, like on Facebook where you become 'friends.' Obviously you can deny a follower, but it's much more conducive to spreading your material. - FREE
   Instagram for Android
   Instagram for iPhones

5. Kindle- There is literally no excuse as to why you're not reading more. You don't need a Kindle. You don't have to carry a heavy book. Depending on the book, you don't even have to pay. The Kindle app is incredible because it turns any smartphone into an ereader. Any books you have in your Amazon account will show up on your phone. It's light, bright, and easy to use. Get to reading. - FREE
   Kindle for Android
   Kindle for iPhones

My homepage with Google Search,
Evernote, and Spotify widgets.
My most used applications.
My Facebook and Twitter widgets.



Let me know what you guys think of posts like these. There are definitely many more great apps, but these are ones that I love. More to come soon.

And make sure to find me on Facebook (here) so that you can find me everywhere else (Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, Goodreads, Foursquare). Thanks!

2 comments: