Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Restaurant Week!

Hello, world.

To celebrate restaurant week, I went to Porter House New York for their lunch menu with my boyfriend yesterday. The restaurant is on the 4th floor of the Columbus Circle shopping center, right across from Per Se, one of the best restaurants in the city.

The decor is really nice. I would have preferred to sit near the windows to enjoy the view, but we were seated in the center of the restaurant. The wait staff was great, tending to our requests promptly and kindly.

The starters; caesar salad
and potato leek soup.
To drink, we both ordered tap water and Sprite. The Sprite came in nice glass bottles that our waiter kindly poured into glasses containing ice. I also ordered a glass of a cabernet sauvignon called Double O. I don't drink wine too often, but I really enjoyed it.

The restaurant week deal offers a three course lunch for $25 (or dinner for $38) at participating restaurants. PHNY only offers the lunch menu on weekdays and Sundays. So for $25 each, we both got a starter course, an entree, and a dessert.


I got the potato leek soup. The portion was much larger than I expected and filled me up quite a bit. Matt, my boyfriend, got their caesar salad. The salad was also larger than expected. Both were delicious.

Steak with mashed potatoes.
My salmon with quinoa.
For my entree, I chose the grilled salmon with cauliflower and quinoa. The salmon was well cooked and yummy. It seemed like they incorporated fruit into their quinoa preparation. It was very good, but I had never tasted quinoa prepared this way. Matt chose the filet mignon with garlic mashed potatoes. The steak was petite so it was a great lunch portion. The steak was cooked nicely to his order (medium) and had a really nice sear that we both enjoyed. The mashed potatoes were good but nothing beyond other recipes we had before. The filet also came with a small leafy salad.

Flourless chocolate cake.
Plain cheesecake.
These two courses were portioned to leave just enough space for dessert (disclaimer: we did not eat breakfast. Our lunch was at 1pm. so we were very hungry going in.) I ordered a flourless chocolate cake. It was shaped like a muffin but much more dense. It had a satisfying crunchiness to the outside but the inside was soft and moist. There was a dollop of thick whipped cream on top. It was possibly the best whipped cream I've ever had. There was also a drizzle of chocolate sauce and half of a strawberry on the plate. I could have eaten this dessert for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was so freaking good. Matt ordered a plain cheesecake that was just as good. It was very think and creamy. The crust seemed to be graham cracker, which I love. There were also some blueberries (I think) on top and beside the cake, although not enough in our opinion.

So we got great service and food for a reasonable price. In the end, we were extremely satisfied. The rest of the menu was much more expensive but make sure to check out PHNY before restaurant week is over.

Recommended.





1 comment:

  1. I love that place! That cake looks delicious and I'm drooling now into my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete